Skip to main content

Compassionate Pedagogy Has Rules, Right?

You're semester or school year is off and running - am I right?  In my last post I encouraged you to take care of yourself over the summer.  To show yourself some compassion as you prepared for this fall.  I hope you did that. If you didn't now you have another chance. In the world of helpers, September is Self Care Month. Consider this my gentle nudge to remind you to take care of yourself as you work online with your students this semester. Self care is another blog post, but it is a form of self compassion and if you don't show this to yourself, you will struggle to offer it to your students. Find someone you can pair up with who would be fortunate enough to have a self care partner in you.  Speaking of fortunes, I was fortunate enou gh to attend several profess ional development sessions this summer.  As we work together to grow our knowledge and skills using a compassionate pedagogy framework, let me share some compassion with you.  This was shared with me when I atten

Shock and Awe: We May Be Ready, But They Are Not

Shock and Awe: We May Be Ready, But They Are Not

Yesterday our students returned from spring break. And many of those students participate in our online classes, so we didn't believe we would need the week many others of you may have between spring break and going to online classes because our students were already online learners. I was prepared for the slow transition from break, where students may not be as receptive as usual.  You too know that dread of getting back to work after some time off. Oh my ignorance. Oh my naiveté.  Oh my poor assessment skills. 

You see, despite most of my students being online learners, both in synchronous and asynchronous classes, they were not ready. COVID-19 had upended life for them in ways they were not prepared for. I discovered this, to my embarrassment, when I began receiving emails form students late yesterday afternoon.  Several students have shared that they just cannot come back to class this week. They are juggling e-learning with their children whose school districts are in the middle of releasing their plans, some have not been able to find groceries to feed themselves and their families, and some have lost jobs over the weekend. Those who haven't are trying now to work from home in addition to caring for their children, or just themselves and their strong feelings of isolation.

The rapid pace of information coming from the CDC has caused some to be very concerned about elders in their family and now find themselves trying to support them when they did not have to do that before.  Showing up as a focused and ready to learn student is just something many share they cannot do this week. 

Teamwork is the Answer, Right? 

I shared this with my colleagues, many of who are trying to do exactly what our students are - gaining footing on this unstable and changing landscape. I wanted to share my concern for our students and gain a collective response of support for them, making sure we are very mindful of the changes that have happened in their lives, and maybe we could come together collectively to work towards supporting them with grace and more. 

Crickets.  Yes, that's right. Crickets. Translation: My colleagues are in similar boats as my students are.  They are juggle teaching their children through e-learning or discovering their child or partner lost their job over the weekend. I considered how to come together and best address these unusual and fearful times for our students - but not my colleagues. Now I am concerned about them and many of my virtual colleagues across the country (smile if you know who you are!) . 

Next Steps

First, I wanted to connect with my students and know that while  I had moments of ignorance I still   had some offers of support to provide. I had to find a way to acknowledge that these times were so different that we needed to be working differently, at least for now. I searched some of the online groups I had joined and went on Twitter to see what my virtual pals might have to offer.  

Here's what I came up with and shared via an announcement in my classes:
Hello Lovely Learning Community, 
You are not alone in trying to juggle all the rapidly changing things that come with a pandemic.  Just typing that word is mind boggling for me.
First - I am here. I can listen, support, connect with you and brainstorm solutions. You may be home and feeling isolated.  You may have new roles as a teacher to your children  (me too!) and just trying to figure that out.  Maybe you are moving out of a dorm.  Whatever is happening, I am here to help. 
How?  Keep Reading...
Our Pandemic Principles 
  • Nobody signed up for this 
    • Not for the sickness, not for the social distancing, not for the sudden end of collective community on campus, not for fear for our health or the health of others. 
    • Not for the "super juggling" that we are now doing since our roles and responsibilities have changed
  • The humane option is the best option  
    • We are going to prioritize supporting each other as humans 
    • We are going to prioritize simple solutions that make sense for the most 
    • We are going to prioritize sharing resources, support, and communicating clearly 
  • We will remain flexible and adjust to the situation
    • Nobody knows where this is going and what we will need to adapt
    • Everybody needs support and understanding during this unprecedented moment 

Adjustments: 
Midterm will now be due on 3/26
We wil make processing this a priority in our class on Thursday and making changes based on the feedback you provide so we can meet your needs 
If it is possible - Please check in with me via email or phone so that I know how you are doing.
Warmly, 
Professor Thompson 

We all are need compassion  and caring and human connection right now. I am pleased to say that my students are reaching out. They are responding to this virtual human touch. I hope you find this helpful and take pause in knowing we are not moving forward as best we can to get things done. We have to keep in mind our classes are communities that need our support, flexibility, compassion and most of all our humanness. 

If you have ides on how  we can come together to best address these unusual and fearful times for our students, please comment below or email me at mmtmsw@gmail.com.  I am office to use Zoom for drop in office hours hoping connection with my students helps us all feel just a little better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compassionate Pedagogy: Building Relationship

As our time teaching during the crisis phase of COVID-19 levels off, many of us are taking a breath, just glad to have made it through this past semester.  Prior to the pandemic, many of us were planning on taking time this summer to do what we enjoy - time for travel, outdoor moments, sleep, reading, and of course often writing. As the summer progressed we would then prepare for our fall courses. I'm sorry to share - and excited to say - that this summer will be disrupted just as your spring semester was. My apologies come from the grief we all feel regarding things lost. And I strongly encourage you to find ways to refuel yourself during the summer, especially if you are not teaching. Now my candor - if you want to be a successful instructor with excellence in your online classes, you will have to begin preparing now. Many of your universities and schools are likely building committees to help you prepare for the fall. But if you keep reading this blog, you will have a profess

Compassionate Pedagogy Has Rules, Right?

You're semester or school year is off and running - am I right?  In my last post I encouraged you to take care of yourself over the summer.  To show yourself some compassion as you prepared for this fall.  I hope you did that. If you didn't now you have another chance. In the world of helpers, September is Self Care Month. Consider this my gentle nudge to remind you to take care of yourself as you work online with your students this semester. Self care is another blog post, but it is a form of self compassion and if you don't show this to yourself, you will struggle to offer it to your students. Find someone you can pair up with who would be fortunate enough to have a self care partner in you.  Speaking of fortunes, I was fortunate enou gh to attend several profess ional development sessions this summer.  As we work together to grow our knowledge and skills using a compassionate pedagogy framework, let me share some compassion with you.  This was shared with me when I atten